Most of You Won’t Read This. You Should. There is One BIG Question All Businesses MUST ask about their content
We’re on overload. You are. I am. Everyone is. Your customers are.
That means most of us don’t read much these days. We scan, we read a paragraph, we read headlines and we forward, delete, ignore or act on the information. Most people who subscribe to any newsletter – including mine and yours – won’t read your articles. That’s reality. I can’t read all the content that comes to my inbox, let alone what’s out there online.
How to Create Unforgettable Content: Start by Asking this Big Question
I have been thinking a LOT about one big fat elephant-in-the-room question in my business, and I think it is something each business NEEDS to ask. This question was posed recently by Joe Pulizzi of Content Marketing Institute. And it’s an excellent one that I am now thinking about ALL THE TIME for my content. Here it is:
If I stopped publishing, would people miss my content?
And I realized in some ways the answer was yes. And in many other cases, it was “no.” Yikes! So I started asking why.
Is your content unforgettable? Do you know the answer? I have been doing research with readers recently and have learned more of what they want, and it has changed my perspective. I am going to be publishing shorter, more frequent pieces to help people. I will still offer longer articles. My goal is to give people smaller, more digestible pieces of information people can use to make a difference immediately.
Seven Things That Help You Create Unforgettable Content
Here are some related questions I have been thinking a lot about that you should ask about your business, too:
- What is the biggest problem you solve for customers? Is it clear? For me it’s humanizing marketing and communication with stories and humor that work. Ask your customers/readers. This will help you immensely.
- If people could point to one thing your brand is known for, what is it? For me, a lot of it is my humor and the way I tell stories. What is it for you? Do you know?
- Is the voice of your content easily identifiable (could your customers pick your voice out of a line-up if no names were used?) If you aren’t sure. Try it. Ask your customers what they read and figure out how you are different. Voice is your secret sauce.
- How are you of utility to your audience? Do you provide easy, quick tips people can use?
- Is it shareable? Content that solves a problem, helps people do something (utility), makes people think, laugh, get emotional…all of that…gets shared more easily.
- Do you tell great stories in your content? You need to!
- Do you make your customer / community the hero, rather than you?
Now That You Know, What Will You Do with This?
Most people won’t read this or do anything different with this information even though it can make a big difference in their business. The truth is we all create forgettable content and we work hard doing it. With a few tweaks to our process, we can create more unforgettable content.
Most people won’t read this or do anything different with this information even though it can make a big difference in their business. The truth is we all create forgettable content and we work hard doing it. With a few tweaks to our process, we can create more unforgettable content. Even one thing above – your voice, your clarity, your personality – can make a difference.
What will you do differently?
Need more guidance and clarity in your big story. Email me: kathy (at) keepingithuman (dot) com.
Your brand has a bigger, more unforgettable story. Your content should, too!
Your Turn: How do You Create Unforgettable Content?
Drop me a comment below. I would love to hear from you!
Leave A Comment